Friday 11 May 2007

Wind

Why is it that my parents generation is obsessed with "wind"? Whenever a baby cries no matter what time of day or night it is my mother says "ah, he has wind", and starts to bang the little mite on the back. Sometimes it makes me wonder how I survived what must have been the constant "pats" on the back, does this explain the weird bone sticking out of my brothers chest when we were kids, mum says he was a windy baby who never stopped crying,God knows maybe if she'd stopped "winding him" he would have stopped crying!

It's obviously a generational thing because strangers of my mothers era come over when the little one is crying and they say two things, "He's hungry!"or "He has wind" (these are statements btw not questions). I'm not an expert, it's only my third child and I'm only in my early thirties so I don't like to correct these women, but from my limited experience even very young babies are slightly more sophisticated than this and cry for other reasons, dirty,tiredness, boredom or over stimulated.

Needless to say walking around a supermarket with a screaming baby is so much fun that some meddling pensioner sticking her face in front of mine to tell me I'm a bad mother for not feeding/ not winding, my baby can just push it over the edge and I wind up having so much fun I sob in the car! And that's without the pleasure of them tut tutting when my toddler has a tantrum!

Is it that their own children don't visit them enough so they have to interfere in strangers lives? If so I suppose I'll consider it social work! and try to smile through my teeth next time it happens, Oh and if anyone is reading this for god's sake visit your mothers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. My MIL is the same, each time she see my youngest son who is two months old, he has either wind or need a bottle. I avoid asking her to mind him because she will feed him as soon as he cry and if he smiles she thinks he has wind.She only mind him if I have no other option

Midget Wrangler said...

My mum is the same! And the constant feeding makes the wind worse!!!Your little guy must be the same age as my youngest, all smiley now! Not too long and they will be able to hold up their heads soon!!!!