Wednesday 23 May 2007

From the mouth of babes!



My next door neighbour is pregnant, due tomorrow in fact and until recently we barely ever say each other other than a passing "Hi", or passing her post over the wall. Now that she's pregnant with her first baby though it's a different story, she's on maternity leave so I'm seeing her daily, everytime she tries to "pop" in for coffee though I'm out and about, she's commented on the fact that I'm in and out all day, montessori, school, swimming, football and parties! Of course I am, I'm a mother of three! I hope she has a realistic view of motherhood (none of us have!)



Last week I was walking up the garden path, babe in arms while my two older weenies were running in and out of the house with two of their hyperactive friends, and she asked when i was free for coffee and advice, I said anytime, but I didn't think I'd be much use in the advice stakes as I couldn't even control my own children (gestured to the crazy children!) Oh how we laughed.


At dinner that evening I was telling my other half the story and the bit about her wanting advice, I said to him "sure it's too late for the only advice I'd give her", ha ha! Hubby laughing and nine year old laughing, so I say, "what are you laughing at? You don't know what advice I'd give her!" "Yes I do", he says, " you'd tell her never to have children!" My hubby and him are breaking their hearts laughing... I'm laughing too! Afterwards though I thought I must be an awful mother!

3 comments:

aquaasho said...

She obviously thinks you're a great mother if she's eagerly looking for advice. She probably just doesn't want to feel isolated if it's her first maybe, rather than needing advice she may just want to know that she can ask at least. We all feel terrified at that stage don't we?

Midget Wrangler said...

I'm still terrified!!! I know she is from the country and being away from your mum is hard with your first child...I think it might have started happening last night, little guy was having a feed at four and there were doors slamming next door. Fingers crossed she's ok! It's bloody awful not knowing what to expect at all.

aquaasho said...

I always think you're better off expecting the worst with new babies and not being disappointed. Like expect not to wash your hair for a week or get any sleep or do any washing/ ironing whatever? At least then if you get 1 minute a day to just wash your face you'll be happy! It's been a long time for me though, you would know best what it's like and I'd say she'd appreciate your blog too!!! It's great to read about normal family life in such an honest and funny way!