Saturday 26 May 2007

Stitch and Bitch

I went to my first stitch and bitch group on Thursday night, it was excellent. I went with my American friend and apart from the two lovely owners of the shop I was the only Irish girl there, which I thought was interesting, it's obviously the nuns fault, we were forced into learning to knit and as a result we are letting this hobby all by the wayside. Think of all the local wool shops that have closed down over the last ten years.

It's a really relaxing hobby, sitting around chatting easily with these women I'd only met five minutes ago,having a cup of tea and working on the blanket I'd started six months ago. Surrounded by all the beautiful yarns it was difficult not to be inspired, I can't wait to finish my blanket so I can start the next project! I'm recommending it to everyone now, come on Irish girls, step up to the plate! Our European and non European sisters know it's okay to knit, we don't have to give up our women's rights! You never know you might enjoy it!

8 comments:

aquaasho said...

I'd no idea this existed in this country. Do you make a quilt is it? Sounds great. I used to love to knit and did a sewing course years ago. You feel great when you make stuff don't ya?!

Midget Wrangler said...

Everyone just works on their own projects so each person is doing something different, There are apparently a few groups in ireland, this one is in blackrock in the wool shop there. It might be something for your stay at home mum list of things to do! I love to make crafty things alright, i draw and paint a bit(in spurts, i'll do loads then nothing for months).the knitting is great in the evening watching a film or something on tv, as you can't eat and knit!

Jo said...

I would love to do this! Do they help you? My knitting skills languish at primary school stage... do they provide materials or do you bring your own? Tell us more!

Midget Wrangler said...

Jo they do lessons! You buy your own yarn and needles and pattern but you can start with a hat or a knitted felted bowl that only takes one ball, they help you if you need it. They obviously want to promote knitting so they are very helpful!

aquaasho said...

I'm definitely gonna look this up in my area. Thanks MW. I'm turning into something from the 50's! I've already started baking things and now I plan on knitting!

Midget Wrangler said...

I love baking!!! my granny thought me when I was a little girl and I teach my little ones, it's the fun side of cooking for kids! Also there is too much added to the shop bought stuff so I like to know what's in the goodies! We need a new name for our sub group of young(ish in my case) wives and mothers who do housewife type things but we don't want a return to the 50's! I'll have to think about it!

aquaasho said...

LOL! I started out making energy bars, for running and stuff, and they were great. Then I moved onto healthy muffins, think I posted that recipe on the blog. Now me and Grace are going through a phase of making apple or rhubarb crumble on an almost daily basis. I'm gonna need a Dita corset soon! We'll be swapping recipes like right Stepfords soon. luv it!

Midget Wrangler said...

There are loads of blogs with recipies! The humble housewife writes about food like it's porn! gives details of food and pictures!
I love rhubarb! really love it when I was pregnant I used to just stew it and eat it with ice cream! yum.
I wish I had time to put up my triple choc chunk muffins recipie on the blog. NOT healthy!!!!