
I have been reading over my previous posts and I realise that i sound miserable! I'm not at all, I'm actually happy enough with my little lot (I would like to be taller-I'm only 5'1') but apart from that I'm actually quite a positive person, at least compared to the teenage me!
It was the 80's, things were kinda miserable, I wore a lot of black, red lipstick and talc on my face to make me look even more deathly white (I'm not a tanned person) and eyeliner? I used to go through it at an alarming rate (two Constance Carroll eyeliners for a pound in the pound shop).
As I am so short my Doc martens came up to my knees, so you couldn't see much of my heavy knit woolly tights, in fact only my underwear was white...my mum wouldn't let me buy black underwear, only bad girls wore black underwear!
Now obviously I didn't always wear my curehead clothes they were only for hanging around on a Saturday in Stephen's Green smoking (that was as exciting as it got), so the rest of the time I was a normal enough Jeans and t-shirts girl (I got my first pair of jeans at fourteen, my mum thought they were unladylike - she hates it that my kids live in them). So my appearance would change but my attitude of polite disinterest in the world always remained the same, you know; people are horrible; the world is doomed; I'm never having kids; the bomb is gonna kill us all (and it wouldn't be a bad thing); love is a lie etc!
So what happened? Well I met the man who is now my hubby and fell in love! I changed from black and moody to pink and perky! Love fool huh? So while I left that behind 17 years ago some of the angst has remained and I think too much, therefore sometimes my posts can be a bit blue (black) but don't worry it's obviously just my Gothic tendencies!

4 comments:
Oh my god - i was the exact same - no jeans until i was 14 & even then i got a crap pair from A-Wear to attend my 1st ever teenage disco in "Ziggys" nightclub-much to my parents disgust , and then came the 18 hole oxblood docs from Peggys stall behind the iLac centre & the only reason i got away with them was b'cos dad was ex-army & Doc's were in his opinion "sensible shoes" ??? Constance Carroll make-up ...hilarious , we all used to smell of "Limara" in our gang too ...although it was never really cool to discuss smells etc in full "goth gear" :)
thanks for a lovely trip down memory lane {god i feel v.old , and i'm only 31 :) }
Agh! Me too! I thought I recognised your statue, alright.
And I'm embracing the pink these days - my friend commented on a bag, or something I had, and I said, 'well, I suppose I just spent so much of my life being...'
And she offered up, 'Black?' And that was it exqactly. Loving the pink these days!
Wow MW and Anon we have so much in common! (I'm only 5 foot also MW!) Although I was always into Indie music the clothes we wore weren't always black either. I remember searching Dublin for secondhand 501's and finding them in that arcade off Henry Street. Oooh you've brought tback so many memeories! LOL at Constance Carroll I haven't heard that in years. These days my daughter wears MAC!! I'm 35 and a half so we're roughly the same age.
I don't find any of your posts blue r miserable at all MW. Normal adult/ parent angst is all it is I'm sure. Keep it up!
anon, I got my docs from peggy's too and we used to slag people who got there docs from Simon Hart!I can't remember the name of the shop in the ilac centre where we got the scary clothes, we're not old! It's when we can't remember that we are old. I'm glad I can remember so I understand how my kids feel.
Jo,I'm more multi coloured, when my girl was born I wore a lot of pink and now I've my tiny man I'm wearing blue a lot!We should be grateful we weren't rockers (n way-tight jeans) or townies!
my God Aisling, MAC- fair play to her:-) I only felt comfy buying MAC for myself a couple of years ago. Sure all the intelligent and beautiful (short) girls were Goths!
Glad I brought back some memories, i think that's why I'm writing stuff down now so I'll remember when I'm old and senile!
Post a Comment