Tuesday 15 May 2007

Pox Party!

Well the play date was cancelled due to illness, well actually it morphed into a "Pox Party" but I just don't have the heart to purposely infect my little ones with chicken pox! Anyway I'd be the one running around filling baths with calamine lotion and wandering the aisles of a twenty four hour tesco like a zombie at one am buying calpol, orange juice and their favorite variety of ice cream, and thinking it's lovely to get out of the house!

So I escaped my fate for another week, I'm actually rather disappointed, part of me is hugely curious as to what goes on at these things, while the children are playing in the garden do the women discuss their husbands sexual prowess, their political opinions or even better their lovers prowess and political leanings! I Suspect it's more which primary school is the best "feeder" school in the area and maybe if there is wine consumed a discussion of who's had botox!

I am being cruel and facetious, truth be told the things we dislike or fear in other people are often the things we hate about ourselves and i know in my case this is true. My motherist leanings are a form of self hatred, when faced with these mummy's ( all yummy) I am looking at myself, when I complain about them discussing school places and gluten free diets I'm actually asking myself how many times I've bored others to tears with my lively banter about temper tantrums! I bore myself!

As a mother I should know that looks can be deceiving and people who see my home baked cakes and handmade blankets will perceive me as a mother so amazing I make Nigella Lawson look like Hansel and Gretel's stepmother, but if they saw me as I really am ( if they read anything in this blog) they would be horrified and probably huddle their children to their skirts as I passed by!

So who am I to judge, those perfectly coiffed mummys in the expensive jeans and SUV's might also lead exciting lives away from their weenies. But what if they don't? What if we all think we are more than just mammy but in actual fact that's it? If that's true then by avoiding facing other mothers I'm managing to escape a reality I just couldn't handle! On the other hand I might be avoiding meeting a kindred sisterhood of intelligent,vibrant women all living under their persona's of perfect wives and mothers, we'll find out next week at my rescheduled date, I can't wait!

No comments: