Thursday 24 January 2008

Sweeny Todd

I went to see Johnny Depp in Tim Burton's musical version of "Sweeney Todd". OH MY GOD! It was brilliant. Now anyone who knows me will be shocked that I went to see it, as I am a total scaredy cat! I had to tell my new boyfriend that I don't watch 18's certificate films cos I am no good with gore...at all! I don't like being scared, but when my cinema going friend P suggested it I was all on for it, sure how bad could it be, seeing it was a musical and all?

Very bad, very sad, very gory! I did watch bits from between my fingers and I jumped several times. In fact after he killed his first victim, yer man who plays Ali G, I had to pop out for a bit of air. But the story is so complex and compelling, Johnny Depp is mesmerising, the singing and music is beautiful, the sets and costumes are so dark and totally oppressive you can feel the poverty and hopelessness, so I managed to over come my desire to vomit and watch the film in it's entirety!

Go see it, even if you hate gore, or musicals or Johnny Depp and Tim Burton, go see this movie! It's an experience and you can't often say that about the Styrofoam movies we pay to see week after week!

3 comments:

Jo said...

Oo, I'm torn. I might wait for the video - it's less overwhelming and you have more control :)

Midget Wrangler said...

If I could watch it anyone could!

bennyboy said...

It is bloody brilliant!

*tumbleweed rolls across the blog*

I'll just be over here now...