Okay, so here it is, I love Doris Day! I mean L O V E her! I love her in everything she has been in, with Rock Hudson especially, now there was a couple! But my favorite has to be her as Calamity Jane, I know, I know cliched and pseudo lesbian "secret love"....yeah, sure that was about the guy, not the girl she asked to move into her shack with her!
I suppose as a little girl I loved the idea of being a cowgirl, I was a tomboy anyway and I loved to hold my own with the lads on my road, I so wasn't girly in anyway at all! But I remember loving Calamity Jane, it had all my Tom boyishness combined with singing and dancing, which I loved. As I've spoken about on my blog previously romance and love to me involved singing and dancing, oh and being swept into a mans arms, and kissed whether I wanted to be or not (I know, I know....so sad!)
I saw a documentary about lesbian and gay cinema a few years ago and of course Calamity Jane was mentioned, and I can see the hidden meaning, but it's scary that just cos a woman in a film is a strong female character we assume she is a lesbian!
I love Doris's other films too, I like the one with Sinatra, Young at Heart, that's a tear jerker and a half, and pillow talk is an all time classic! I love her style, the blonde hair, the sexy but coy look, the two piece suits and the swing coats! I wanted to be her and I wanted to kiss her....I know, how weird is that! I suppose she just seemed soo good, so sweet and kind ans sexy in a very safe and nonthreatening way.

No comments:
Post a Comment