
You have to look closely to get the point of the picture I think....It's way too small! Have you heard those adverts on the radio, woman calls up the "Ministry of Mum's" helpline, basically asking what the hell she is supposed to do with her little darlings for the school holidays? Love those adverts, for a couple of reasons.
Firstly I think there should be a minister for mum's, after all over half the population are women and how many of them again are mothers? I know there are female ministers and TD's but they never trade on the mum vote, why not? Because it's bad for their career to focus on the mother aspect of their life. If we had a minister for mum's we could be sure that there would be someone with our interests at heart, not the economy or the environment or whatever, but mothers. If half the population were all..... postmen say, I bet there would be a minister for postmen's rights!
Another reason I like that ad is the desperation in the voice over mum....just not desperate enough! There it is streching out in front of us....eight weeks of amusing the kids, it's grand if the weather is nice,beaches parks and playgrounds beckon, but if it's raining you are stuck in the house, endless play dates, baking so many cookies and cakes you gain a stone in the first three weeks and the kids are turned off sugar for life!
So the idea of the ad is bring the kiddy winks to Mc Donalds where the kids will be happy and not moan while you enjoy a nice Mc Cafe Espresso, they'll even carry your tray! At other times of the year the thought of bringing my kids to Mc Donalds fills me with dread (only use i have for Mc Donalds is as the perfect hangover cure, diet coke, fries and a MC Chicken sandwich with no mayo). But in the summer holidays I'd gladly dispatch them there daily if I thought it would work, feck it if zombie Hitler showed up at my door and asked me could he bring "zee Kinder" to Mc Donalds I'd lend him my car keys!
What a change though, when I was nine the summer holidays seemed so short, now I dread them and they seem an eternity! Maybe in a few years when my little ones are older I'll grow to love them again! Although probably not, then I'll be moaning about the young parents letting their kids run riot in the park!

11 comments:
Zombie Hitler!!! LOL :) Seriously think McDonalds are slightly evil in playing on the fears and insecurities of mums but sure aren't all multinationals?
is that a baby breastfeeding from a mcburger bun? Really? How disgusting! What are they trying to achieve with that? McDonalds as mother?
Someone I know you are right, all multinational's are evil of course but Mc Donalds just seem to totally take the piss....
Jo, I think it's supposed to suggest that america has been brought up on fast food?
I love McDonalds when I'm in a foreign country. I know what I'll get when I go there! Also if you're in Europe it's the one place you'll get coffee bigger in size than a thimble so it's fine by me. In France it's the only place you're able to afford beer!
To me it's like cigarettes, everyone knows they're bad for you. If people continue to smoke/ eat too much McDonalds I think it's their own fault. (Plus the little shrek toys are so cute!)
Ah, at 18 we went to Paris and all we ate was MC Donalds....seriously! Beer and Mc Donalds really go well together though!
Ah! Mcmammaries... I thought it was a real ad!
My daughter calls McDonalds Shrekdonalds - the power of advertising. We thought she was unaware of its existence, though she revealed that her Granny had brought her there, for 'Irish milk and chicken nuggets'. Hmm.
THe zombie biurger video really put me off, though I have enjoyed an indulegnce or ten in the pat - milkshakes and fries, and bizarrely, a big mac with no burger in it, it's the only palatable thing I can get there!
I like Burger King better (though the milkshakes aren't so good). THank God they never ventured south of Dublin.
I figure, for burger lust, go to Gourmet burger, and for milkshakes, Eddie Rocket's and satisfy the cravings that way....
On a different note - hey missus - where are ya?!?!
You'd better be in the bloody Americas or we'll come and get ya with our pointy sticks :)
Nah, seriously, we know you're going soon - have a great time - give our love to the quare one!
PS: Jo, have the patter of tiny feet landed yet?
Hubby has been working doubly hard at the mo Jacqui and Lisa, hence my absence from the secret society meetings, should make it next week though! Going Monday week to see E, can't wait! I need crochet advice so I'll be in to see you over the weekend, saw Jo today, still no joy, but I finished the booties for her so maybe my mystical needles will work their magic again!
Hope all is well with you Midge....just saying Hi!
"The quare one"?!?!?!
I'm taking that personally!
Hmmm...that's a pic from a Mothering magazine cover...well, the original had a boob in it!
I can't even imagine how bad it's been over there...we had a week of grey and rain and we were going nuts. But then there's nothing to do here (at least yo have a coffee shop and Dundrum!).
Soon tho...soon it will be over and we can shunt them off to school again!
Post a Comment