Monday 23 July 2007

Home

The picture above was taken in the year I was born 1973, I know it's mad it looks like something from the turn of the century . Well I suppose the mad argyle geansaĆ­ is fairly seventies, but apart from that it could be any era, any place outside the pale, post famine Ireland.

RTE are running a series at the moment which is about the was family life has changed in the last thirty odd years, it's fascinating, from Nell McCafferty talking about contraception (the condom on the late late show!) to the "Housewife of the Year" contest. What the programme brings home in black and white is just how much we have changed as a nation, now I know Dublin is a separate entity, and we are more European now than Irish, which is a good thing in my opinion, but even the footage from Dublin is shocking.

They have nothing....I mean nothing, we complain about the prices of houses and new cars, while looking through the Argos catalogue or planning a shopping trip to the Big Apple. They had nothing, there was a young newly wed couple, in a tiny flat, with their few meagre processions, the hand me down sofa and bed, tiny two ring stove, electric two bar fire and the "few wedding presents" as the young chap put it. We laugh at the idea of getting a toaster as a wedding present but they were so grateful for it, the few towels (from Frawleys) and a set of crockery! We really don't know how lucky we are, if we wear second hand clothes it's cos they are "vintage" if we get married it's a 30 grand party and honeymoon then back to our three bed semi detached in a pretty satellite town around Dublin. Okay so stuff is expensive, but we still have it! Do you think our young virginal couple went out for meals in town at the weekend or even had a takeaway and a bottle of wine? Nope.

I worry it's all happened so fast we are in danger of forgetting how bad it was, this couple weren't poverty stricken, they could afford to buy a flat, these weren't the people still living in the tenements in around Clanbrassil street or being moved out to Ballymun (to a better life). Sometimes, when i feel a bit cynical about it all i feel like we are in a handcart to hell, I think it's all so out of control, the owning, the possessing the shopping, but then I remember, remember the hand me down clothes, my dad's old banger of a car, not having central heating (coats on the beds in the winter) the coal fire mum had to clean out and set every morning before she went to work (if we have a fire now it's for effect), we also weren't poor, mum worked, dad worked two jobs, I had my first job aged 16.

We all give out about the state of the country, how we have too much of this and not enough spiritual depth, so when we were poorer were we happier....? I know what I think.

Give me new build houses we can afford (even if they are in Cavan), give me working mothers and childcare, give me contraception, give me civil partnerships for all couples regardless of sexual orientation, give me divorce, give me abortion, give me a secular state where the church can't screw us and get away with it!

The Celtic Tiger might have been a bit heavy handed and brought designer babes, drummy mummies and David McWilliams with his funny names for us all (well he's laughing all the way to the bank), but the tiger also squashed a lot of things we are so ashamed of we never mention now. If Joe O'Reilly had killed his wife in 1973 do you think he'd be behind bars?

8 comments:

aquaasho said...

WOW great post MW! We only got central heating in my parents council house in 1993! So I remember coats on the beds alright. Things are definitely better now, it's not that long since they made rape within marriage a crime or when women were forced to give up civil servant jobs when they got married.
Great post MW!

Midget Wrangler said...

Thanks Ash...mam and dad got the back boiler central heating around that time....but it was still freezing in winter, and the condenstion that froze on the inside of the windows? I know, and female teachers, they had to give up their jobs too, Eamon Dev. had a lot to answer for, you can't be a wife and work and still have time to dance at the crossroads!
Enjoy Wexford! Hope Fosterinos are keeping you on your toes!

Ellen said...

Great post Mw. I agree with all you said. This womans not for turning either!

Jo said...

Excellent post. Great photo too. I emember no tv, washing machine, or cental heating. someone on Rollercoaster said they clearly remember their mother not eating so that they could - scary.

Midget Wrangler said...

Thanks keynoter, Maggie Tatcher was another thing I happily leave in the past....those days of "female" leaders...only thing female about her was her handbag. Mary Robinson, there's a leader, intelligent, strong but also sensitive and embodies what it is to be human. Don't know what's wrong with me last couple of days....seem to be unable to turn off the "soapbox" button!
Jo,mum didn't eat when we were little, she'd tell us she'd eaten at lunch time, told dad she'd eaten but she hadn't! used to borrow 5 pounds from nana on a Tuesday to get through to Thursday when dad got paid!
Those were the days!

PolkaDot said...

Wow. I mean, wow. These are things that I just can't fathom, some of them. I'm coming from the land of milk and honey, and honestly, the people here don't know how lucky they are. I was having a conversation with someone who lived in Poland during the Communist era and what they went through. Some of it I just can't get my head around at all. Their neighbors didn't have any food, so they had bread and salt for dinner for a week. That just would never happen here...

xanthus said...

What's the Cavan thing ?

PƩitseoga said...

Great post!
I often stop to think, when we order a pizza and open a bottle of wine, how well off we are! Or when we can afford the free range chicken or hand over 20€ at the cinema!
When I was little we didn't have much money either, but living on a farm there was always plenty of food, and good food at that! But no holidays or meals out for my parents. i remember the first time i had a meal out (it wasn't by choice actually, my mum was sick and couldn't cook the sunday dinner, and my dad took us to the chipper instead. i think i was six.
We were well off though compared to the people in Ireland. We had central heating and we always got our own shoes, only the clothes were hand-me-downs or home made.