Sunday 2 September 2007

Forgive and Forget?


I was driving through the Phoenix park on Friday, just me and the baby (who was snoozing in his baby seat), I was pondering my life and the stuff (crap) that's playing on my mind at the moment. You see cos the kids and my hubby are always around although I'm often lonely and isolated I'm never really alone enough to think about anything important! So making the most of the silence I let my mind wander! I really shouldn't you know cos I had a revelation!

Forgiveness, what do you think about it? Is it the christian thing to do? What would Jesus do etc? I've been trying to forgive and forget some stuff recently, I say trying cos it should be difficult, shouldn't it? I think Jesus was right we should forgive anyone who wrongs us, but not so we can be "the better person" or take the moral high ground, but because forgiveness is a selfish thing, "Forgiveness is not something we do for other people it is something we do for ourselves so we can get well and move on!"

It is harder to obsess about some wrong that's committed against us, to use energy to relive it over and over again, complaining about it, reliving it, over and over again. It's easier to let go, to just release yourself from the torture, and release the other people from the guilt!

So I was struck by this in the middle of driving through the Phoenix park, I knew I'd forget it if i didn't pull over and call someone to tell them about this! So I pulled over to a ditch thing (I was on a tiny little road somewhere, I called my hubby, babbled I'm sure like an idiot about how forgiveness was a selfish act, my hubby listened to my crazy theory talked me down and then went off to a meeting! So I pulled out of the ditch and headed off again, I was driving for about thirty seconds when suddenly from the trees on my left appeared a deer, a perfect deer, like nothing I'd even seen before, like an animated deer, almost pink with white spots, then another deer followed from the trees,A tiny baby deer, just like the mother but tiny! My heart jumped in my chest, I felt like it was a sign, form God or Buddha or the universe that my revelation meant something and I should follow it through! So I am!

6 comments:

Jo said...

Excellent, I like it!

I'll go look up deer in my animal totem book and see what it represents.

Midget Wrangler said...

cool, Jo, I'd love to know what it says!

aquaasho said...

Did you watch the Queen last night with Helen Mirren? She was "visited" by a Deer too, a kind of epiphany I think....

bennyboy said...

I saw The Queen too the other night and was struck by the parallels MW. Any sign of that animal totem, Jo?

Péitseoga said...

forgiving is so hard though! i often have to remind myself that the last thing i want to be is bitter and miserable, to get myself to snap out of it when i ponder all the shit things that have been done to me and others. i'm working on it and i've managed to forgive a few things and it's made me feel much better...

Midget Wrangler said...

Peitseoga, it is difficult but well worth it, congratulations on managing to forgive! I think we all need a bit of it sometimes.