I'm an idiot, I'm the kind of woman who winds up on the nine o'clock news, found dead in her own home after inviting in her assailant! When I was a teenager I was in a little (gang) group of kids and we called ourselves "The happy Spas".....in my case it's still true. I'd talk to anyone, and apparently anyone will talk to me. I often wonder if I have a status message on my forehead "available for chat about, children, cat poo or the wearing of human skin as a fashion accessory!"I am one of those people that people love to talk to, I obviously have a kind of "harmless" look about me, "ah, look at that lovely little fat girl over there, she won't mug me, she couldn't outrun me!", is that what the little old ladies think as they potter over, or "ah look at her, she must be desperately lonely, she's overweight, I'll approach her and suggest bizarre sexual acts!", is that what the weird guy in the nightclub thinks as he swaggers over?
So, what I'm getting at is that I'm over approachable, which I know is good, but it can have it's disadvantages (see above). When I was on my holiday in Maine I travelled by bus to and from the little town to Boston, so I spent lots of time sitting watching "RV" the Robin Williams film with no sound (I doubt the earphones would have made the experience any less harrowing, when the septic tank explodes on Robin everyone on the bus breaking out into mad laughter, i saw RV four times in total, can't believe they don't alternate the films.
On my trip back from Linconville to Boston the bus filled up very quickly, a woman got on a couple of stops after me she had an awful birthmark, it took up half of her face, she sat down in the seat behind me, then a few stops later a big burly man with a little bag got on, "can I sit here please mam?", he asked the woman with the birthmark and he sat down. They strike up a conversation, this big burly gent turns out to have a little cutesy dog called Mr Fitz in the bag, who goes everywhere with him, he doesn't drive because he had a terrible accident in Bosnia, he was a solider and had seen some action and been involved in some "incidents". The birth marked lady went on to tell him her story and how she had been involved in a serious car accident several years ago and just can't drive anymore either, she worked for the church and felt she was blessed to have found in later life a wonderful husband and they had a miracle baby, her life sounded very "Touched by an angel". They started to discuss the war in Iraq, now I'd spoken to people about it while I was in the states and everyone I'd met was of a similar liberal position and didn't support George Bush, but this man was old school, he brought up Saddam and Afghanistan. The lady then piped up, "But you can't agree with this war, we should bring our boys home", now burly dog man didn't agree and said, "But mam, if we don't do it who will? We are the world's police force!"........oh God, I really wanted to turn around and say, "Hey dog boy, we don't need your interfering, believe it or not the American way of doing things isn't the best!" I didn't though, I just scribbled in my note book, "I'll show him....I'll blog about this two months after I get home!"
Anyway, sorry again for detour! So after this exchange they continued to chat away but I was now joined by a curly haired woman in her 40's, Joany, I've written about her in my "Future" post, she's married to the lobster man (hehe), she proceeded to tell me her life story and cry, telling me I was her angel, that she had been dreading travelling and I was sent by God to keep her company and brighten up her day, it was lovely to talk to her, she was a lovely woman. She gave me her email address and I gave her mine. I haven't heard from her but I think I'm gonna mail her tonight.
So sometimes my "available" status message is a good thing, I suppose if the other option is that people don't approach me I'll put up with the Wackos!

2 comments:
LOL - The Happy Spas! I had the misfortune to be a bright and sensitive child and am sadly raising another - I've always suspected it's better to be stupid and happy. As my friend put it, perhaps we should all be aiming to raise insensitive dullards. :)
I'm hainvg trouble getting my daughter to understand the difference between stranger danger and good manners. Partly because I'm torn about it myself - OH! You just made me remember my post idea!!
I don't think I'm stupid....but obviously I look it, I don't think randomers srike up conversation with brainy looking people!
Post a Comment