Hubby and I went to see Knocked up, now usually our night to the cinema are fractious, he likes films in Latvian about some crazed dictator, I like the earlier funny stuff! So usually someone compromises, usually me, but last night even though my hubby really wanted to see The Bourne Ultimatum we went to see Knocked up...my choice...hands up!
It was hilarious, no I don't know what civilians would make of it, it showed relationships and pregnancy kinda the way they are! The scene where the baby is "crowning" is so realistic....I'd say show this to your teenage daughters and they will never, ever have kids! There was a pregnant woman in the cinema, now I have no idea what the circumstances were that surrounded her pregnancy but I sincerely hope it wasn't her first child because I'd say she was soiling herself at the thought of labour!
But what really grabbed me was the relationship between the lead character's (Izzy from Grey's Anatomy) sister and her husband (can't place him, but very sexy eyes). At one point he says that the reason is relationship is fecked is because his wife loves him so much she wants to spend all her time with him! Seriously! Everyone in the cinema laughed that could have been because he was also off his face on magic mushrooms! But it got me thinking.....
He lied to get time on his own that he could spend with his mates, his wife obviously assumed that he was having an affair! I feel like this is a genuine problem in the real world, I think a lot of women feel like they are giving 110% to their family and the husband is giving about 20%, a woman ( a stay at home mom anyway) is totally submerged in the family, they become her universe, but the husband still craves his own life, time with his friends, well the wife does too, but he has a life.....work! The stay at home mother is at home working away doing the invisible work no one sees! I know it seems awful, really jealous and petty, but that's what it's like, you are tired and frustrated, your husband does well, getting ahead in his career while you slave away!
Do I sound bitter? I suppose I am, I have three beautiful children but my husband has three beautiful children and an amazing career! I could have had both you say? Could I, really? I'm not the type to leave my kids in a creche, I just have too much guilt! So I stayed at home, it's been nine years now, most women my age have established careers ( if they have kids they have availed of childcare) So at 34 if I was to return to the workforce now I'd be an office clerk being managed by someone younger than me (like last year when I was an office clerk!)
Anyway, I hope my kids are happy, I try really hard to give them the best of me, but sometimes that's difficult! Sometimes I want to cry when my hubby says he wants to go out with his friends, I don't do it...but once 2am has passed I start with gentle nagging texts and then escalate to a phone call saying get home now or the doors are locked!


3 comments:
I hear ya sister. It's worse when your husband's career is shite!
I'm going to curtailmy response or I'll just write your post all over again. But yes. My experience of guys' nights out is Just The Same. Except my husband tells me he'll be home early and then stays out til 4.30 in the morning with his phone strangely switched off while I sit home wondering if he's dead. Again and again, despite my hysterical tantrums.
By now I've stopped caring, I just wonder how farhte life insurance would stretch and if I'd have to move us all in with his mother and rent our house out.
ahhh you are working pal, raising a family ain't no walk in the park and this rat race of a workforce is not all its cracked up to be either. Maybe you should get out a bit though with your mates and such or do a bit of voluntary work at the weekend just to break your week up a bit and let your hubby see how hard it is.
the sister's husband in 'knocked up'? i hear he was phoebe's husband in 'friends'! he's kinda cute...
Post a Comment