Now, before I begin I am warning you, if you have been enjoying my blog recently, thinking how far I've come and how great my attitude has been, don't read this post....ok?So, once upon a time there was a little girl who didn't believe in prince charming or living happily ever after or even the future of the planet earth! She believed in doom and destruction, the clothes she made for her Sindy dolls were made from the fabric used to line coffins in her fathers place of work. She didn't play mummy with baby dolls and the aforementioned Sindy dolls were fashion designers and doctors living in apartments in rathmines and Ranelagh, they were also probably lesbians as her brothers action men never got a look in with them!
Now that little girl grew into a bigger girl and then a bigger teenager, she had friends who were boys but didn't go all soft and soppy over thm the way her friends did, she still believed the world was doomed and why would anyone want to reproduce in a world like that, why would anyone want to reproduce, full stop! A late bloomer at sixteen this girl had her first boyfriend, first french kiss (yuckity yuck), first experience of hormonal lust....it was ok, but he was an idiot and he said she laughed too loud, I think he felt she lived too loud really!
Then at 17 and 3/4 she did something, something silly, something she regrets to this day, she kissed her best friend (male), they fell in love and from then on they shared their cynical opinions on how awful a place the world was and how society was a crock of shite and they were the only ones who made any sense, wrapped in a cocoon of self satisfaction and their own egos they floated through their teens and early twenties.
So our princess had found her prince charming and although he didn't have a white horse he did have a student monthly bus ticket, and there was no magical kingdom with a crystal palace, but there were a series of rented houses in various locations, eventually our golden couple married, in a secret registry office service, they said it was for family reasons and neither of them believed in marraige, but our heroine just didn't believe she deserved a wedding. She was happy though, she believed it wasn't the wedding it was the marraige, and two people more suited to each other would have been difficult to find!
Now the dwarfs, every story needs dwarfs! Our heroes had decided not to have children, they were young and their desires to finish their education, travel and live a little didn't seem selfish. But fate had other ideas, and after months of denial she discovered she was with child, sitting on the loo, with the fourth positive test in her hand sobbing as her prince charming did the dance of the virile fertile man! She was a good (if ill) pregnant woman, reading all the books, going to all the classes, not even looking at a drink or piece of stinky cheese, eating all the (apple) pies. He was the expectant first time father, they seemed so happy, but she was becoming resentful of him, and he was withdrawing from her and they new life they were about to begin.
Years passed and our couples golden glow dimmed, as they had another two dwarfs and the walls closed in around them, there were windows and doors in the walls of course but our heroine was afraid to use them, if she went out would she ever come back? Then one day her prince decided enough was enough and he was gonna step outside, there was no wicked witch, no siren, no golden pot of treasure at the end of the rainbow, but the hostile and scary, dark deep lonely forest outside the walls of their home was more appealling than what lay inside.
Now our heroine was trapped in the cabin in the woods with the dwarfs, who looked to her for comfort and reassurance, but now the cabin door and windows had shrunk and it was even getting difficult to see outside, or for people to see in. The dwarfs were growing and seemed to suck all the life out of our heroine so she often felt like there wasn't enough air to breathe, or enough space to even string a thought together in her head! Some days she dreamt of a life beyond the walls of her cabin, squeezing out of a window when the dwarfs are snoring, other times the oblivion of a poision apple or a bottle of wine call to her. I don't know what happened to her, but I do know if she had never let herself be fooled by fairtayles and hormones she'd be living the life her Sindy dolls were!
So today my friends, is not a good day, I cannot stop crying, I am tired, I feel like a piece of elastic pulled too far. I have nothing left today, the children are requiring inner strenght I just don't have, So far this morning I've eaten a bowl of cereal, a slice of bread and butter and a chunk of a giant dark chocolate toblerone. My blog has been shortlisted for an award, as has the group blog, I want to buy a nice dress for the night....so why am I eating? I want to go to Jo's on Saturday night but I have a huge cluster of acne on my chin that makes me look like a plague victim....don't worry jo, if I'm not coming I'll still drop the food over! My ex is struggling to support us financially, and I am worried how that is gonna go, I feel guilty cos he has to support us, yet I am in no position to work (childcare for 3 children).
I feel like crap, I wish my life was a fairytale, cos I know I'm a good person and good people are always ok in fairytales, they find a hen that lays golden eggs, or a magic porridge pot or they are kissed by a handsome prince from a far away land and they wake up to disover it was all a dream and they go on to make the same mistakes all over again!

13 comments:
What an amazing piece of writing, I cant believe how low you feel today, you could have let me know on facebook and we could have had an inbox frenzy.
But seriously I am stuck for words, since I have never been in this position, you need to escape on saturday, acne or not, you need nights like this where you can roll back the years and pretend to be a teenager again. I have only ever had one bad relationship where I was engaged to be wed and my Fiance bet me up one night and kicked me out of the rented house we had only moved into a week before, pathetic male that I am but I would and have never ever hit a woman, and so ended that one.
It took me a long time to get over that, she was my first true love, but all things come good in the end , and now I have found my adorable wife. I love her also but this time it feels different, hence why no one can explain what love is, it comes in many forms.
You will find another love and yes it may all go full circle again but thats the way life goes sometimes its fantastic other time its punching you in the face blackening both eyes.
Dont lose hope midge and always if you feel low get in touch you know how you can.
Just stopping by to say you are not alone. These types of things are just the same on this side of the world. I have been a single mom since 1994. I am now on the tail end and have spent many a night with a bottle of wine as my only friend. Don't give up. Yes there seem to be more bad day's than good but you are strong and MUST make it. There is really no other choice. So, pick your head up and remember we are the stronger sex for a reason. Even if that reason sucks arse sometimes.
Hugs from this side of the pond.
I guess this probably won't help at all, but it helps me sometimes. I like hillwalking because ultimately the one thing you have to do is put one foot in front of the other. Despite blisters, pissing rain, shagged hamstrings and freezing cold, it all comes down to putting one foot in front of the other. Repeat.
That works for me as an analogy, it may not work for you, but I hope you feel better.
Shan, you cannot have known this but my therapist tonight said I need to do exactly that, stop trying so hard and be a teenager and a bit irresponsible! Can't even spell it!
I am delighted to have the perscription almost for being a bit more footloose and fancy free!
Dear Prudence,
you have no idea how much your comments means, thank you, this is what I love about blogging, connecting with people I'll never meet but who can share in my experience! Thank you DP, thank you for your comment and for taking time out to read my post.
Thriftcriminal, thank you so much for your comment too,I have been doing my 5km a day in the gym on the threadmill, just walking ok? but my baby won't settle in the childcare so I'm giving him a month off...but generally I love that feeling, when I am walking that process of one foot in front of another is positive!
Again guys thank you so much, I love blogging, and to me this is what my blog is about, it makes me feel life is bigger than this life, everyone's input helps!
It would be a huge dis-service to all of us to stay away because of acne. We are better than that. you'd forget about it after a gin or two. You could stay over on saturday night if you felt like it, though I only have the couch to offer...
Who is Shan.
Bet you laughed.
Hi MW, I can't pretend to know how you feel but I am always so impressed with your ability to put your feelings into writing the way that you do.
I think we all feel at times that life has dealt us the worst hand.
It helps me when I'm feeling down to look at the big picture and all the positives. I know it's a cliche but there IS always someone worse off than you, no-one's life is perfect. My Mum's favourite saying is " No family can hang up the sign 'Nothing the matter here'" - think it's some old proverb she read.
Anyway, tomorrow's another day and all that so hope you're feeling better, and definitely go out at the weekend, you sound like you need some time out :)
Aw MW so sorry to hear you're down. I do hope you've been bouyed up by the responses here, sorry I didn't drop by earlier. Hugs hugs to you.
(I've had adult acne for about ten years, I know how shite it is ... :-) )
Again, Thanks Voodoo, you are so sweet to take the time out to put a comment on my blog.
Ash, It's a hormonal thing is it...the acne? I'm going on the pill soon, until the snip snip...so I'm hoping that'll help.
Thank you so much for all your support Jo, you know I am grateful for your generosity with your time, and kind words!
First, I hope this shows you what a great writer you are.
Second, go to Jo's. You deserve it. Screw the spots. You are not made up of spots (tho, you, as a Goth...not sugar and spice? What would it be...worms and bats?)
Wanna go walk? Or I need a dress for the awards too, polka dotted of course. Wanna shop?
MW,
Parenting is all consuming yet so rewarding. Your investment in your children now, will pay enormous benefits later. As the song goes, These are the good old days. As others have said, you are not alone. My wish for you is to find a girlfriend in a similar situation that you can trade off childcare to get some play time. You are dealing with a huge amount of responsibility which frankly just isn't going to go away anytime soon. It's OK to have a pity fest occasionally but keep looking for the good around you. Start with your children's smiles. If they are not smiling, give them one, they are infectious. A nice cup of tea, a rare moment to enjoy the pleasure of a segment from a toberone without the guilt. I'll leave of with this quote:
There is only one person who could ever make you happy, and that person is you.
David Burns, Intimate Connections
I realize this is a typical male response trying to fix things for you. No easy fix here, just simple, small steps toward happiness. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and getting your feelings out on the table.
Polka,
Walking and shopping sounds great....I have been lax of late, I haven't told my friends when things were getting to me, my fault! Thanks for the support, Glad you liked the writting, I have a great alternative pinnochio story...x rated!
Thanks Journey, I have realised I am crap at asking for help or support, never want to put people out or drag them down.
I have to change myself.
Thanks for the support and the comment, is there anything David Burns can't do?
Heh, I read waxing and shpoping - I've only ever hada wax before my wedding, and I did fine the physical pain was a welcome relief from the emotional stress of it all.
Post a Comment