Let me explain, I am a hippy dippy type, I dropped science at the end of first year in secondary school, cos I wanted to do art, and art and science don't mix? Well last night I was in the new Science Gallery in Trinity college and I see that they do! There are some lovely instillations the show is called Light wave and it's excellnt, there was a 3D projection of the sun, something based on the northern Lights and a daylight room to beat that winter SAD! It was really great!I was there with Mr Science (like the new tag?) there is a cafe there and they were holding an Alchemist cafe talk, which is when a lot of people interested in science get togther to talk about a particular topic, so last night it was Dr Peter Gallagher an astrophysicist, talking about the true cost of space travel, and was it worth the billions of euro/dollars put into it. Now I really enjoyed it, except for the odd weirdos... People who had obviously spent far too long thinking about this! One guy was really a bit crazed, and of course as I predicted at half time break he move seats to the empty seat beside me! Now Mr Science thought this was very funny, I managed to convey to him that we were leaving, I was not comfortable sitting beside a science obcessive! So we snuck away, but I was glad, I was starving and it was after nine.
So we wandered over to my car, through Trinity, now it's been nearly ten years since I was a student in Trinity, but the flash backs! I have to say it was the happiest time in my life, it was when I felt most at home! It was as if I'd found my place in the scheme of things. So walking past the arts block, remembering the (I know very bad) smoking outside in the cold, drinking tea from styrofoam cups and worrying about the essay I was working on (oh to have worries like that now) Sitting on the grass in the spring, talking about the future, about dreams, aspirations, about who we were all going to be! So It was bittersweet being there, i don't know how I'd feel if I'd gone into a lecture theatre, I suppose I'd remember the excitement, that feeling of what will we discover today, will I ever understand this philosophical theory (probably not!) I want that again, and I will do anything to get it! I may be older and wrinklier but I'm the same square peg in a round hole and I want to exprience all those things again!
Anyway, we went back to his place, where we drank some wine and cooked some food togther which we enjoyed as we talked and looked at some of his old photos. It was just so nice, such a different evening, but perfect, one of the things I really like about Mr Science is that he is making me step outside of my comfort zone and do new things I'd never have done before! I think it's one of the great things about relationships, or friendships, each person brings something different to the table and that enriches the other persons experience of life.

3 comments:
I droipped science after third year - my father made me do it for the Inter Cert - something to do with 'living in the real world' - I suppose I'm glad, my real issue with it was how scary the teacher was and how uncomfortable I felt wearing my hair up at a time when I didn't wear my hair up.
The teacher was actually very nice and a brilliant educator, so I find myself still able to rememeber facts from her class today - I know what a miniscus is, for example. Or perhaps what it means - I'm not sure if it's a noun or not... :)
Science is great, but I think I rejected it because of the way it rejects magic and feeling. Letting scientists go on to do hideous things in the name of science, growing further and further away from an important definition of humanity in the name of objectivity.
When obviously, a marriage of art and science is hwat is necessary if we're going to survive as a species!
Sorry, sometimes you start a comment and realise too late it's more of a blog post.
Do the blog post please Jo....You know you want to!
Science and art, together at last, what about science and religion?
Wel, I don't think one discounts the other. I think we need to see them as a whole too, don't you? If you can't see the divine in the science, then what's the point?
Post a Comment