Sunday 18 November 2007

Feathers!


So today I bought myself a new duvet and duvet cover, a duck down duvet! Why is this so important, well my husband never liked feather pillows or duvets and we had hollow fiber for years. Now that I am alone in the bed it is cold, cold and empty. So I've been bringing a hot water bottle to bed, complete with a pink fluffy cover and some nights I've been wearing my robe in bed a few nights too.



Today I went out to buy an electric blanket, thinking that a little bit of roasting would make my nights a little warmer! So into Debenhams I marched, and while looking for an electric blanket I saw a special offer, half price duck down duvets! Should I could I? Yes, I picked up a duvet and cover, double size (we've always had king before, but now there is only me in the bed it seems too much), I walked up to the till, the middle aged friendly lady took for my purchases and I handed over my cash, "Are you interested in getting a Debenhams store card today?", "no" I answered, she looked hurt so I continued, "I'm separating form my partner, so money is tight.....(no reaction from nice middle aged lady)...and he didn't like feathers, so now I'm buying this duvet". Now she reacts, good for you (she looks a bit taken aback though), "and I don't have to do his ironing either!", now the lovely woman is looking at me with matronly sympathy, perhaps she thinks I've been drinking? "At least you have no children", she adds, "oh, we have three!"



This is just an example of the types of encounters I've been having with people, strangers or family and friends. Because my husband are trying to make this split a positive thing for all of us, people don't know how to deal with us. I look around and I try to find an example of what we are trying to do, and I can't see any!



So the duvet, wow...it is so comfortable, so cosy and warm! I am heading to bed now with my book and a cup of green tea! Heaven, I just hope I can get out of bed in the morning!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh bugger. Not sure what else I can say. I've enjoyed reading your posts over the past few months.

Will be thinking of you.

Midget Wrangler said...

Thanks Dermot!
I'll still be posting, and I'll try not to take the "all men are bastards" point of view :-)

Jo said...

Relegated to hollowfibre for all these years? What a freaish freak - feathers are the only way. There's certainly cosy love to be had from a feather duvet, I couldn't live without one. Go girl.

Why assume someone has no children? Strange one.

I'll be watching your quest for a positive separation with interest and care. It's a vital thing, I think, and it has to be doable.

Nice to have you back - ~I still think you should be writing a column - hands up who'd read it?

Midget Wrangler said...

I didn't have the weenies with me, they have Saturday/Sunday with their daddy! Which is amazing, means I can get through the horrible bits knowing I'll have 36 hours to myself at the weekend!

Thanks Jo, You are a great cheerleader, and the flowers you sent me were so beautiful!

Well I'll keep up the blogging, as I said it's been a lifeline in the past and I hope it'll keep me focused!

bennyboy said...

Me!

Now what's the emoticon for waves hand in the air again.....?

aquaasho said...

Did you buy the electric blanket yet? If not, get the ones that are fleecy and shaped like a sheet. i.e. fitted because the tie down ones are useless and those ones where you can feel the cabling in your back will drive you nuts! They're about 100 euro in Power City, more expensive (and washable)but you're worth it. (Get dual control too!)
:-)