Monday 12 May 2008

Nuacht

I have to apologise again, as my laptop is broken I won't be posting videos in my blog posts....which some of you will be grateful for but there is one I really want to post and it's a pain in the bottom that I can't, I also can't seem to post pictures......look I may have a blog and all that but when it comes to technology I am a ninny!

So anyway here is a summary for the last week or so of my life.......

My mum isn't great (thanks for asking Ash and Ails), they finished the treatment on Friday, they wanted her to stay in this week for just respite care, no treatment but she just wanted to get home. There are three main problems that she has and the problem is by treating one they make the others worse. They are talking about surgery on her spine, but she is terrified so I can't see her agreeing to that. Mum got very depressed last week in the Hospice, really low, I think three weeks of agonising treatment that just made it worse is just too much for her. She was so bad on Friday when I was there she could hardly sit or stand, was barely able to walk. It's breaking my heart.

On a brighter note my little baby is mush better, still runny nose and (intermittent) conjunctivitis, but I think that's teething. He is doing a lot of cruising, right now we are in the hall and he is walking a few steps before he remembers to crawl, so he is thriving. My oldest son had midterm last week so I kept my daughter out of Montessori too, we had a lovely week doing lots of things, enjoying the sun and catching up with friends.

We did have one sad day though, my ex husbands grandmother died and I brought the children to the funeral, I come from a family of undertakers, I see making children aware of the cycles of life and death as important, they knew and loved her so why shouldn't they mourn her? And they were great comfort to their father and grandparents. They got upset towards the end of the service, and asked me why funerals were made to be so sad? Kids ask great questions, you can really be surprised! Their dad was feeling low and spent the day with them, as I said they ear great comfort, reminds you what's important.

As I mentioned in a previous post I went out to "The Blue Note" on Friday and had a ball, then Saturday night I went to a friends house, we drank Polish Wodka and had a Chinese (Cantonese roast duck......drool) then we watched Tom Hanks (who I have very little time for generally) in "Charlie Wilson's War", I really enjoyed it, although Julia Roberts looked like an anorexic space alien. Saturday night was chilled and relaxed, and I came home reminded of all the blessings I have in my life, probably the most important of those (apart form my children) is the friends I have in my life, the ability to make strong connections with other people, to share my life with them and be able to share their lives. I was feeling quite "loved up" when I thought about it, the significance of friendship in my life, and how rich my life is, although at times I feel lonely, generally I am extremely lucky!

Yesterday, again loved up I bought the kids a bouncy castle, for one hundred euro in Argos, (sure I just won't eat this month) my boyfriend and his kids came over and my friends and their two kids, they had a ball on the castle and we had yummy BBQ, even the baby enjoyed himself, and again a lovely day spent with friends, watching my kids and their friends playing together.

I think friendship and genuine connections between people is what life is about, it's what brings real contentment and happiness, I don't think money or success or romantic love can bring as much contentment as friendship.

Jesus, sorry, really loved up ........

3 comments:

Shanachie said...

God what a sick post, so girlie and loving. Bleuh!

Nah its nice to see you back writing again, and as for this bouncy castle is it big enough for me to bounce around in! I love bouncy castles.

Bonn said...

Yay bouncy castle day out. They can be tiring though.

Jo said...

Hmm... that sounds suspiciously like what that attachment-homeschool-parent commenter said about looking at your sleeping child and feeling it's all worth it...

though by the time you read this, you'll probably be cursing them again! ;)